Skip to main content

My Story...


I am a wife. I am a mother. I am a student. I am a bartender. I am an athlete….well kind of. I never grew up doing sports or anything athletic at all. I was a band nerd…not coordinated, not popular, not particularly attractive. As I entered adulthood around 17 or 18 I started running, mostly because I didn’t know what else to do but wanted to get physically active and in shape. Over the years I taught myself how to lift weights from reading magazines, watching FitTV and Googling everything I wanted to learn about. I learned what to eat, I learned how to exercise, and I did it all with no coaches and with no teammates. This has brought me to where I am today. I don't claim to have a perfect body...hell I don't want a perfect body! It's too much responsibility! But given my schedule and my lifestyle I do my best to look good and feel good. I've found what works best for me is to find a balance...between eating clean the majority of the time, while still allowing some cheats and treats for when I want to take the kids for ice cream... or when family functions and events come up.


 My greatest role I could ever aspire to in life is that of being a mom. That being said, I also feel strongly that keeping myself healthy and in shape plays a vital role in being a good parent. Being fit makes me more confident, it makes me a better role model for my girls, it will help me live longer for them and for my future grandkids, and best of all, it teaches them that women can be strong!!!
 
 

I am not a certified trainer (yet) and I do not have my degree in Exercise Science (yet), however I am presently working on both of those goals. However, I have been studying exercise and nutrition for almost 13 years, both on my own and at universities.

 This blog will be a forum for mothers and women to go to for answers and support, whether their goal be weight loss, muscle gains, or just overall physical well-being. I will try to make posts at least once or twice a week covering various topics such as: meal preparation, pregnancy, healthy recipes for both kids and adults, how to do proper cardio, how to read nutrition labels, supplements, common myths, why women should lift weights, how to workout at home, and some of the biggest mistakes I see in the gym.

Disclaimer: I know how to write, but I don’t know how to blog! Please be patient as I figure out the ins and outs of how this thing works and how to answer questions and such.

Annie McDonald

Comments

  1. Excited to be a part of your blog Annie! Can't wait to see what you have to offer us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Round, Firm Glute Series: Part 2

Alright folks, are we ready for round 2 of my butt blasting series?!?! The first post was a huge hit so I’m hoping this one will be too. Now, just because this is my second entry DOES NOT mean that these workouts are secondary to the previous workouts I mentioned. In fact, these are some of the best moves for complete isolation of the glutes! So without further ado, let’s get to it: •              Leg press (narrow stance): This is one of my favorite exercises!!! And arguably the one that I’m the saddest about not being able to do while pregnant. The leg press is an excellent weighted machine for lower body work. With a traditional leg press movement, the legs are about shoulder width apart and the focus is on the quads. However, with a narrow stance, the focus shifts to the glutes and hamstrings. I prefer to place my feet right next to each other and put my feet high enough up that my heels are in the very center o...

Supplements 101

 Supplement stores can be very overwhelming! There are so many options to chose from, I suggest reading reviews on sites like Bodybuilding.com and know what you want before you buy anything. Sales people at a store will often try to push certain items.... like the ones they make the most profit from! Ah, the billion dollar industry of supplements…. With most of those dollars coming from false claims from weight loss pills claiming you can eat whatever you want, sit on your ass and still lose weight! I would like to preface this blog with a disclaimer: SUPPLEMENTS IN NO WAY REPLACE HARD WORK AND A GOOD DIET!!! Supplements should be used only as an aid for hard exercise and clean eating. Nothing will ever make you lose weight without making you pay for it in one way or another. Nothing! I'm going to break down what I take, what I have taken, what supps are good for various goals and what I would like to possibly try in the future. What I take daily for exercise: ...

My Round, Firm Glute Series: Part 1

Ahhhh… summertime! It is officially upon us. And seeing as how this season brings on the land of shorts and bathing suits, it has been requested of me to write a blog specifically targeting the glutes. Now, per the name of this blog, this is something that I happen to know quite a bit about J And if summertime clothing tell us anything, it’s that there isn’t much room to hide this beautiful arch of the female body during this time of year!   In past workout blogs, I have given a specific workout plan for each muscle group. However, for this one, there are SOOOOOOOO many things to do both in the gym and at home in order to round and firm your patoot, that I am simply going to give a list of my favorite butt-blasting moves! Personally, when I split up my workouts I have 2-3 upper body workout days per week and 2 lower body workout days, with one of those days targeting specifically the glutes. Your hip and gluteus muscles are some of the STRONGEST IN THE BODY! They are detrimen...